The Lord of the Rings 25th Anniversary Collection from 1980 by Unwin Paperbacks.
The Lord of the Rings. 25th Anniversary Collection. Three Volumes Paperback in Slipcase with 16 Page Fully Illustrated Anniversary Booklet. 25th Anniversary Edition : 1980
This set includes: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King and a 16 page anniversary Booklet.
The Fellowship of the Ring is the 3rd edition, 1st impression 1979, Unwin paperbacks.
The Two Towers is the 3rd edition, 1st impression 1979, Unwin paperbacks.
The Return of the King is the 3rd edition, 1st impression 1979, Unwin paperbacks.
Sets are known to exist with the 1st and 2nd impressions, making this the earliest of the two.
Slipcase features black text on a silver background and silver text on a black background. The cover illustrations based on a design by J.R.R. Tolkien.
The ISBN of the set is 0048231835.
In the 16 page booklet, Humphrey Carpenter tells how The Lord of the Rings came to be written and published, and of its reception and fortunes since publication.
The booklet was distributed both separately and with this the 25th Anniversary three-volume paperback edition of The Lord of the Rings.
The booklet includes numerous brief excerpts from letters and reproduces:
1) A manuscript page from The Lord of the Rings chapter The Shadow of the Past.
2) Page one of a letter to Rayner Unwin dated 24 October 1952 in which Tolkien discusses the possible publication of The Lord of the Rings. Much of the letter is included in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien (1981) – Letter 135.
3) Part of The Gods Return to Earth, a review of The Fellowship of the Ring by C.S. Lewis.
4) Part of A Boy’s World, a review of The Return of the King by Edwin Muir.
5) Part of At the End of the Quest, Victory, a review of The Return of the King by W.H. Auden.
These paperback books are in good unread condition. With some bumps, rubbing to the corners and edges.
The slipcase has the usual wear but is sturdy, with rubbing and bumps to corners, wrinkles on the surface and here and there some loss of the silver due to scratches (probably from taking it in and out the shelve). Overall still an impressive nice looking set.
A nice Anniversart paperback set of The Lord of the Rings, with the 16 page booklet that will be of interest to anyone wanting to learn more about Tolkien.
Digital photo's available, inquire if interested.
Other Tolkien books available, include both the UK and US editions, original cloth bindings, custom fine bindings, and Signed/Numbered/Limited Editions.