The Children of Hurin, US De Luxe Edition, by J.R.R. Tolkien, published April 2007 by Houghton Mifflin.
Signed by the editor and illustrator, Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee, to special bookplate, featuring Lee's motif of the Helm of Hador, attached to the half title page.
Houghton Mifflin Co., Boston, 2007. Hard Cover.
Book Condition: Fine. Alan Lee Color Plates (illustrator). First Printing. Octave.
First Edition/First Printing, of the Special Deluxe Edition available for a limited time. Hardcover in slipcase.
This copy is in Fine condition, only flaw is a bump to the right bottom of the slipcase.
The first standalone tale of Middle-earth since 1977, and the first complete version of one of J.R.R. tolkien's 'Great Tales', with many exclusive features:
- Drawing together J.R.R. Tolkiens original manuscripts, using many sources spaced out over decades, Christopher Tolkien has constructed a narrative without any editorial invention.
- Includes a brand new red and black Map of Beleriand specially drawn by Christopher Tolkien, which appears as a fold-out sheet.
- Contains eight colour paintings and twenty-five pencil sketches, specially commissioned from award-winning artist, Alan Lee.
- Features an exclusive colour frontispiece painting by Alan Lee.
- Includes a specially written introduction and appendix on the history and writing of the tale by Christopher Tolkien.
- Printed on superior quality paper and including a silk ribbon marker.
Quarter-bound in blue cloth with gray boards and silk ribbon in a matching blue slipcase.
With Houghton Mifflin wishing to reach out and do something special for the loyal Tolkien fans, along with Christopher tolkien's reluctance to grant public appearances, they conceived the idea for a signed bookplate, which Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee both agreed to.
It seems approximately 900 bookplates were signed, with less than 500 for distribution in the US, and 250 for the UK, with the remainder held for other promotions.
Matches the style and design of the 50th Anniversary The Lord of the Rings, the 2004 Deluxe The Hobbit, and the Deluxe Silmarillion released in April 2007. Complemented by the matching deluxe editions of Tales of the Perilous Realm (October 2008), The Legend of Sigurd And Gudrun (2009), The Fall of Arthur (2013) and Unfinished Tales (2013).
Digital photo's available, inquire if interested.
Other Tolkien books available, include both the UK and US editions, original cloth bindings, custom fine bindings, and Signed/Numbered/Limited Editions.