|#000397 - The Children of Hurin - Deluxe UK Edition with Signed bookplate, Christopher Tolkien & Alan Lee - $950.00
A very hard to find edition, with the signed bookplate. Don't expect to see many of these for sale, as most will end up in private collections.
> Enquire about this book
|The Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkien, published April 2007 by Harper Collins.
Signed by the editor and illustrator, Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee, to special bookplate, featuring Lee's motif of the Helm of Hador, attached to the front free endpaper.
The Children of Hurin, UK De Luxe Edition: The first standalone tale of Middle-earth since 1977, and the first complete version of one of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'Great Tales', with many exclusive features:
- Drawing together J.R.R. Tolkiens original manuscripts, using many sources spaced out over decades, Christopher Tolkien has constructed a narrative without any editorial invention.
- Includes a brand new red and black Map of Beleriand specially drawn by Christopher Tolkien, which appears as a fold-out sheet.
- Contains eight colour paintings and twenty-five pencil sketches, specially commissioned from award-winning artist, Alan Lee.
- Features an exclusive colour frontispiece painting by Alan Lee.
- Includes a specially written introduction and appendix on the history and writing of the tale by Christopher Tolkien.
- Quarter-bound in blue with grey boards, stamped in gold foil with a unique motif of the Helm of Hador created by Alan Lee, and housed in a matching custom-built slipcase.
- Printed on superior quality paper and including a silk ribbon marker.
- This edition available for a limited time only.
With Houghton Mifflin wishing to reach out and do something special for the loyal Tolkien fans, along with Christopher Tolkien's reluctance to grant public appearances, they conceived the idea for a signed bookplate, which Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee both agreed to.
It seems approximately 900 bookplates were signed, with less than 500 for distribution in the US, and 250 for the UK, with the remainder held for other promotions. I know of three that were given away as prizes on the Tolkien Library web site, during the "Children of Hurin" Release Party. A very hard to find edition, with the signed bookplate. Don't expect to see many of these for sale, as most will end up in private collections.
This Deluxe Edition is matched in style and design to The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, and The Deluxe Hobbit that were concurrently issued in 2004.
Digital photo's available, inquire if interested.
Other Tolkien books available, include both the UK and US editions, original cloth bindings, custom fine bindings, and Signed/Numbered/Limited Editions.
|Pictures (click to enlarge):|
Terms of sale: Prices are only indications,
always inquire if books are still available. We accept Money Orders, cash,
or Credit Cards (paypal) for immediate shipping. Checks will delay
shipment for 10 days for checks to clear. Please inquire for shipping
Interested: Please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.